Pages

June 1, 2009

Getting Out of the Funk... When You're "Going Through"


I’m starting this discussion because I’ve been talking to a few of my sisters who have been or are currently… going through. Hopefully, this is a word of encouragement to you that truly… this too shall pass.

Mama used to call it being in a “funk” when things that are heavy on your mind get you down.

Lately, I’ve found myself in and out of a funk. I’ve been going through… In case you can’t relate to that term, I’ve been dealing with issues of life. Poor judgment calls, disappointments, unexpected changes, being blamed for others’ mistakes, money has been funny, discouragement… Oh yeah, I went there. I even found myself in self-pity for a minute. Bear with me if you’re beyond experiencing these emotions, but God isn’t through with me yet:)

More than the actual circumstances, most of which have passed, I continued to entertain the funk due to not forgiving myself. How could I allow myself to get off my square? I even felt like I had disappointed God and missed out on something He had for me. It’s amazing how God can forgive us so much easier than we forgive ourselves. Hmm… have you ever felt like that?

Ultimately, this is a state of mind that the enemy thrives on. Satan’s methods are designed to defeat God and humanity by limiting the gospel.* As long as we’re caught up in a funk, our minds and energy are distracted from the things of God, from the tasks set before us, from the joy that belongs to us through Christ. I think what happens is that in the aftermath, after Satan’s work has been done. Though we have gained some sense of freedom, we may continue to allow the thoughts to creep back in. Often we re-experience the situation within our very own minds.

So, what do we do when these defeating thoughts re-occur?
casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ ~2 Cor. 10:5

Surely, I thank God for His grace and mercy, and I’m so glad that I have His Word in my heart to speak forth at times such as these. Whew! God’s Word is a powerful source to renew your mind and thinking when the things of this world get you down. It’s cool to talk to your friends, but the WORD OF GOD… there’s nothing like it! Today, I just saturated myself in the Word and I feel GREAT!

Bottom Line… Satan is defeated. We prevail. There’s work to be done… Get out the Funk!

*MasterLife 3, The Disciple’s Victory. Avery T. Willis and Kay Moore

No comments :

Post a Comment

Care to share your thoughts?