Pages

July 24, 2009

Quiet Quality Time


Quiet Time… that time when all presence around you is still. When silence is only accompanied by the soft chirping of morning birds, or a gentle hum of the warm heat flowing through the vents. That special time with you… and God.

I’ve never spent any quality quiet time with God that I didn’t enjoy. I always feel refreshed, renewed and more insightful about life. When I begin my day with Him, I’ve found that I’m more calm and serene throughout the day too. On the flip side, I’ve had some “dry seasons” in the past where I was so preoccupied with pursuing goals or taking care of people that I only gave God bits and pieces of left-over in-between time. I was one irritable, impatient and frustrated sista; going ziggidy-boom on auto-pilot all over the place and still not accomplishing anything. Sure, it was quiet in the car for those 3 minutes I would pray, but my attention wasn’t devoted to Him. The time we spent was lacking… quality.


Since God desires to have a relationship with us, He wants to communicate with us daily. Not just some surface chit-chat here and there that you call prayer. He wants quality time, when we show our love for each other and He gives us direction for our daily lives. There’s a difference between knowing of God, knowing about God and actually knowing Him. It’s not about how much scripture you can quote, but how much you trust Him. God has feelings too.

I wrote the poem Stood Up one night as I imagined how God feels when we don't spend time with Him. Yet, we can get all fixed up and anxious for a date, a business meeting or performance. We even spend hours writing. Have you ever made an empty promise to pray everyday or read a scripture, but only lasted for a short time? My hand is raised, because I sure have in the past. Often, we get so caught up in our affairs, that we’re off and running… leaving God behind… stood up.

Your daily mediation doesn't have to be a long time. I usually spend about 1-1/2 hours per day. I read my Bible, pray, maybe sing; then I quiet my mind and listen. You can start out slow with just 10 minutes a day and gradually increase. Consistency is most important.

The main thing is that you don’t stand up God. He wouldn't leave you hanging. Show Him some love and spend a portion of each day in quiet quality time. Then come back and share the difference it’s made in your life. I’m absolutely sure, it’s for the better.

If you haven't read the poem yet, check out Stood Up.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Care to share your thoughts?