Pages

July 24, 2009

Stood Up (poem)

KABOOMIN cabinet doors
Zoomin from room to room
Slidin across the floor
Tearin up the house
where's the other Jimmy Choo?
Guess these boots gon' have to do
cause he'll be here in a few
Let me slow my self down
get a grip…
and go check out my doo!

Soliloquizin lines
the clever words I’ll say tonight
gigglin n’ cheesin in the mirror
freckles ain't too pretty
but the makeup’s tight!
Dang, the bulb blew out
now there ain’t gon' be much light
It’s cool, I’ll lay it out like this
he’ll like this candlelight
Play some soft jazzmatic sounds
to set the m-o-o-d just right
Relax
breathe
just be…
I got a date tonight

15 minutes late…
     hmmm... this is kinda’ rude
20 minutes late…
     now, I’m gettin' an attitude
30 minutes…
     call… voicemail on the first ring
   Hey… just checkin’ to see where you’re at
   there’s somethin’ I want you to bring
45 minutes…
     kick off the boots, cause they’re w-a-y too tight
     pouting 'bout all I did to look cute
     blow out the candlelight

Vexed and perplexed, tryin to conceal
the rejection I really feel
Break out the Häagen Daz and DVD
as if it’s no big deal
I nod off
humbly
carefree…
Or so I seemed to be


BUT... God Knows and Sees EVERYTHING

[God]
Gazing upon my sweet child
submersed in tranquil sleep
She’s the apple of my eye
My darling beloved sheep
Hey, I’ll cheer her up
I know just what she will like
A morning bluebird serenade
a gentle breeze and bright sun light
Should I wake her now?
No, I think I’ll let her get some rest
Oh, I’m so excited
I crave her sweet incense
Oh, I was so delighted
from the past few mornings that we spent
All I want is to show her love
Her heart I want to mend
on Me can she depend
Me... and Me alone


Ok, just one gentle touch
a stroke upon her cheek
Awww, look at my baby girl yawn
she’s just about to speak
Flickering eyes adjust to the sun
I love their early morning glow
Though she hates her freckles
I created them just so
Always thinking she’s ugly
but she's gorgeous, made perfectly
That part she likes least about herself
I love… for she’s unique
Look! She’s dropping to her knees
Good morning daughter, I love you!
Oh… she’s just looking under the bed
for her other high heel shoe

15 minutes…
     bathroom prep to sweeten up her breath
20 minutes later
     a shower to make sure she’s clean and fresh
30 minutes
     See, that’s why I blew out the light
     The prayer book beside the pack of bulbs
     a little dusty, but in plain sight
45 minutes
     The Today show? Ask me! I know just how it’ll go
     What? she's putting her on coat
     Kaboom! She's out the door

I knew her commitment to “quiet time”
was a little too good to be true
This morning, I just wanted to tell her I love her…
and where to find... her favorite shoe

Candace Burts © 2009. All rights reserved

Inspiration from Quiet Quality Time

No comments :

Post a Comment

Care to share your thoughts?